Guarudan is a Destiny Guardian, a Warrior of Fire.
- Guarudan is based on Garuda of Hindu mythology, a humanoid bird man, and the phoenix from multiple cultures. While Garuda has ties to the Sun, the phoenix actually has fire abilities, so the two were combined.
- Guarudan's name is a combination of "Garuda" and "guardian" (pronounced ga-roo-daan).
- Garuda is known as "enemy of snakes", and Guarudan and Wanyuu, Skylar's Destiny Guardian, happen to be rivals because of their masters' rivalry.
- Guarudan's outfit is based on a Kalaripayattu uniform, an Indian martial art.
- North initially described him as a "cool Winged Dragon of Ra from Yu-Gi-Oh/phoenix crossover. It looked like it was made of metal, but it just had scales that were gold and his wings had fire covering them when he was fighting. He could light his whole body ablaze if he wanted".
- Garuda is sometimes described as having an emerald-colored body. The fact that Guarudan has emerald green eyes and magic gems is a complete coincidence.